After 4 years of hard work the UNEXMIN project is finally ready to show its results and outcomes. The UNEXMIN Final Conference will be held in Brussels on the 26th of September 2019. Registration is free!
Please come and meet the team and its work – including one of the UX-1 robots!
Find more information on the event, including registration, below!
About the event
The EU-funded UNEXMIN project is developing a technology capable of autonomous exploration and mapping of flooded underground mines. This technology has the potential to reduce Europe’s import dependency of mineral raw materials which are critical for the energy transition.
The programme will include high-level discussions on raw materials policies, on how the UNEXMIN project supports both the policies and European industrial innovation, and on the capabilities and future application of the exploration system.
Meet the UX-1 robot during our demo session!
We have identified a perfect venue for the robot demonstration: NEMO 33 hosts the world’s deepest diving pool and you will be able to watch comfortably the robot in action during the afternoon coffee break. The robot will be launched from the pool on the first floor and then cross a system of different tunnels. You will be invited to have a look at the control room, ask questions, and see the robot in action through the windows on the ground floor.
Why should you attend?
The conference will provide a unique opportunity to discuss the UNEXMIN project overall and its specific fields of work, including minerals exploration, raw materials exploitation, and robotics and ICT development, with cross-cutting discussions that aim at demonstrating the impact that UNEXMIN can have on the European landscape.
The event is particularly relevant for EU policymakers, academics, mineral exploration and exploitation companies, cave exploration companies, SMEs focussing on geological consultancy and minerals surveying, and robotics and ICT experts from private and public institutions.
Several high-level speakers have confirmed their attendance and you can discover the full programme here below:
Morning session: setting the political context: the future of mining in Europe
- European policy context – Daniel Cios (European Commission, Policy Assistant, DG GROW)
- Aim of the call for proposals – Marcin Sadowski (EASME, Head of sector – Raw Materials)
- Future of exploration in mining – Helmut Mischo (TU Bergakademie Freiberg)
- UNEXMIN – aim and outcomes – Norbert Zajzon (UNEXMIN, project coordinator, University of Miskolc)
- ROBOMINERS H2020 project – Claudio Rossi (ROBOMINERS, project coordinator, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid)
Afternoon session I: Raw materials & mining
- UNEXMIN processing and data analysis – Stephen Henley (RCI/4dcoders)
- UNEXMIN field trials and geological interpretation – Gorazd Zibret (Geological Survey of Slovenia)
- UNEXMIN Inventory of flooded mines – Isabel Fernández (European Federation of Geologists)
Afternoon session II: Robotics & functionalities
- UX-1 robotic functions: testing and validation – Jussi Aaltonen (University of Tampere)
- UX-1 multi robot platform – José Miguel Almeida (Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores, Tecnologia e Ciência)
- UX-1 autonomy, mine exploration and mapping – Claudio Rossi (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid)
Round table discussion on mineral exploration, future and long-term initiatives with panellists:
- Massimo Gasparon (EIT Raw Materials)
- Mike Buxton (TU Delft)
- Uwe Restner (Sandvik)
- Kiril Horoshenkov (Sheffield Robotics)
- Yves Vanbrabant (RBINS)
Important: venue change
Rue de Stalle 333
1180 Uccle (Brussels) I Belgium
GPS: 50°47’46’ North – 04°19’02’ East
Participation in this event is free but requires registration.
Full information is available at https://www.unexmin.eu/unexmin-final-conference
To register, please fill in the form at https://forms.gle/V64vHekSZVbTZmo59
You would like to attend, but can’t make it to Brussels on 26 September? Don’t worry, parts of the event will be live-streamed via UNEXMIN’s Facebook channel! You can connect starting at 9:30 for the morning session, follow the pool demos online and join us again for the afternoon roundtable discussion. Stay tuned via https://www.facebook.com/UNEXMIN/
More images: https://www.unexmin.eu/image-gallery/