UNEXMIN – Underwater Explorer for Flooded Mines – started in February 2016 and, after almost 4 years of progress, ends this October 31st. In the end the project has achieved what it promissed, supported by a multi-disciplinary team of European partners. The outcomes include, among others, the UX-1 prototypes, a new technology line made available to explorer flooded mines in a secure, cost efficient way and a robust and unique Inventory of Flooded Mines in Europe.
However, and despite the official closure of the UNEXMIN project naming, the team will continue to develop and perfect the technology to the needs of the market and customers. For this, a brand new project, that will bring the UX-1 technology line closer to the market is on the pipeline. Also, a joint company, supported by UNEXMIN’s partners will exploit the technology – and it is available for work!
Find below some of the most important achievements of the UNEXMIN project, if you want an overview of what the team has done and reached over the past 45 months.
- UNEXMIN kick-off meeting
- UNEXMIN at Tampere Workshop
- Porto follow-up Workshop
- Madrid follow-up Workshop II
- Technology Appraisal Workshop
- Progress Workshop in Porto
- UNEXMIN workshop at La Palma, Spain
- The “Use of robotics and automation for mineral prospecting and extraction” conference was a success!
- First UNEXMIN consortium meeting in 2018. Bled, Slovenia
- First UX-1 prototype assembly is on the way!
- The European Inventory of Flooded Mines is now online!
- Summary of the first week of the Kaatiala trials
- Summary of the second week of the Kaatiala trials
- Summary of the first week in Idrija mine
- Summary of the second week in Idrija mine
- UNEXMIN meeting in La Palma: UX-1 and field trials in the agenda
- The UNEXMIN project was present at the EU Industry Days 2019!
- First week of field work at the Urgeiriça mine, Portugal
- Second week of field work and major achievements at the Urgeiriça mine, Portugal
- Summary of the first week of field work at the Ecton mine, UK
- Summary of the second week of field work at the Ecton mine, UK
- Summary of the third (and last) week of field work at the Ecton mine, UK
- UNEXMIN consortium meeting in Budapest: final decisions and preparations made ahed of Molnár János field trials
- Summary of the field tests at the Molnár János cave, Hungary
- UNEXMIN Final Project Meeting held in Brussels, 25th September 2019
- Outcomes of the UNEXMIN Final Conference
Please continue to follow the UNEXMIN website for further news, as well as the social media channels. They will be kept alive with information whenever possible: Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and YouTube.
Last but not least, the UNEXMIN team would like thank all of those who followed the project, who supported the development of the technology and who contributed to make UNEXMIN a reality and a success story in the European Raw Materials panorama.
For any inquiry, about the project and/or any business opportunity, please do not hesitate to contact the project team through the Contact form.
On the 17th of October 2019, the UNEXMIN, PIPEBOTS and ROBOMINERS projects organised a joint robotics workshop to discuss common challenges, find similarities and deliver plans for future collaboration.
First the three projects were present by their respective coordinators, which allowed all the participants to get a better understanding on the scope and worklines of each consortia. To this, a series of talks and discussions were held and it was during these that common challenges were found and ways for collaboration agreed upon. The 4 discussion themes focussed on 1) Robotics, 2) Sensing, 3) SLAM/Navigation and 4) Communications.
Before the end of the event Intellectual Property Rights issues, joint publications and even possible joint projects were discussed.
The three projects, including UNEXMIN (that despite ending soon wants to continue development), decided to meet again for more joint workshops following the success of this first attempt.
UNEXMIN held its last project meeting on the 25th of September in Brussels, event that preceeded the UNEXMIN Final Conference on the following day. This project meeting put focus on discussions on the current state of the technology and project development as well as on the near, medium and long-term future of the project and the unique technology line developed within its framework.
To kickstart discussions for the day, Norbert Zajzon (project coordinator) made a presentation on the overall state of the project, while each partner gave a short talk on their work and views since Month 1 (February 2016). These presentations and talks held among the partners created the perfect environment for what followed: a debate on the future – both on what still needs to be achieved and what will be done after the official UNEXMIN deadline – of the project, the technology and its application.
On the topic of exploitation of results, one main objective of the UNEXMIN consortium, is to utilise the UNEXMIN’s innovative exploration technology, based on the UX-1 system, to offer the technology to the market. For this purpose a joint company is already created: meet UNEXMIN GeoRobotics!
During the afternoon the project held both an Advisory Board meeting and a Steering Committee meeting. On the first, a selected group of experts from the robotics, raw materials and technology fields had the possibility to comment and steer the project’s developments – the focus here was on future exploitation. The meeting that followed picked up discussions on this topic to reach an agreement for exploitation among the participating UNEXMIN partners – the consortium is focussed in making the bridge from research perspective to commercial approach.
This Final Project meeting gathered the UNEXMIN partners to bring light on what still needs to be done in the project and on how the future will look like. The official deadline is for this H2020 project is on the 31st of October – but we have good news that we will be sharing soon on further opportunities!
Recently on UNEXMIN…
- Getting started with UNEXUP! 11th February 2020
- UNEXUP – continuing the UNEXMIN success story 3rd February 2020
- UNEXMIN at the Raw Materials Week 2019 – a success story 25th November 2019
- The UX-1 robot will be presented at the Raw Materials Week 2019 13th November 2019
- The closure of the UNEXMIN H2020 project 31st October 2019